Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

MUTEMATH - The Boys From New Orleans Bring Some Smooth Jambalaya

MUTEMATH was a band that I came across on Pandora one day, and I literally couldn't stop listening to their self-titled album.  The song I think I originally heard was You Are Mine, and I was so impressed with that one that I went ahead and listened to the rest.  Needless to say, the entire album was incredibly good.  They have released some other albums as well, and the only other one that I paid any attention to was Armistice, which I ended up finding to be less impressive.  I think they re-invented their sound a little too much, but even still there are some really wonderful songs on there.

I remember handing this bands name out like candy at a parade, and people were just going nuts over it.  Or they were asking who was playing on my car stereo etc.  They really do have a unique style, one that sort of reminds me of Filter, but only the good Filter songs :)  I also think the lead vocalist Paul Meany has incredible range and ability.  He has this mesmerizing raspy voice that really catches your ear.

MUTEMATH

There are a host of amazing songs on this album, and we'll go ahead and embed those for you.  I think this is the bread and butter album, where they really showcase their "style" of music.  It can be anywhere from hard-hitting, loud and passionate songs to down tempo eerie instrumentals.  Either way this album is a 100% keeper.








-You Are Mine-
Uhh... gorgeous harmonization... it's really that simple.  The lyrics are somewhat repetitive in the chorus, but who really cares when the song is that good.




-Chaos-
Fast paced, beautiful, and just a ton going on.  I have also heard these guys are amazing to see live.  I looked at some of the live performances of this, and it left a bit to be desired.  This may be one of those that is better in the recorded version..




-Stare at the Sun-
This is a phenomenal song, and one that is linked to an incredible instrumental called Obsolete at the end.




-Control-
Yeah... really the whole album is nuts.  I could embed every song to be honest.



Other songs to check out: THE REST OF THE ENTIRE ALBUM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARMISTICE


This album, like I mentioned earlier, seems to be a minor re-vamp in style.  I still think there are some serious gems on here though..












-The Nerve-
This the lead-off batter for Armistice, and I think it most closely resembles their previous style.



-Clipping-
This is a really smooth and gorgeous song, and one that I think was my initial favorite. Enjoy!




-Odds-
A somewhat sad song about moving on.




Other songs to check out: Pins and Needles, Spotlight, Armistice.  In reality it's all good.

Hope you enjoy!

-CS

2 comments:

  1. Christopher JanneyApril 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM

    Really nice; some just mesmerizing. I think I had a chance to see them a few years back at ACL or Lolla, but I didn't. Wish I had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to see them live, but am very excited to get the chance. Glad you liked!

    ReplyDelete