Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Local Natives

I would be surprised if you have not heard of these guys....

They are based out of California, and have been taking the indie-rock scene by storm.  This was a band that was recommended to me by a friend, and I will forever thank that particular individual for playing the album for a handful of us while we were staying on Lake Michigan last fall.

I haven't in a very long time come across an album that was as complete musically as this album is.  I usually reserve this distinction for a Radiohead album, as they always seem to reinvent their own wheel and blow my socks off.  However, The Local Natives bring something to the table that so many bands lack, and its this incredible richness to their music.  They go way out of their way to bring harmonies that massage the eardrums, and their instrumentation is eclectic and extremely tight.  Needless to say, these guys got together to make an album, and on their first try they got it completely right.

You will literally not find a weak spot in their debut album Gorilla Manor.  It isn't overproduced in any way, and it is obvious these guys are pure musicians.  My sister called me while at their concert and held the phone up so I could hear, and it was just as tight as it was on the album.  These guys can play, and they can most certainly sing.  Sharp and flat notes are few and far between in their live recordings, and as stated previously, the harmonization is incredible.  If I get the chance in the near future I will be going to see them live and in concert.

As I said, you won't find a weak spot... you just won't.  However, if you are looking for suggestions, I will of course oblige.

Upon my first listen of the entire album (which you can listen to in its entirety on their website The Local Natives) there were a few songs that really stood out for me, and once again I think it had to do with this original eclectic sound, and of course the harmonization.

-Wide Eyes-
This is the bread and butter song, and I think the one that these guys were leaning on to be the "catchy tune."  Well, in my estimation that was a complete success.  Even better there is this incredibly creepy video that goes along with it.  The melody is strong, the lyrics are seemingly meaningful, the harmony is beautiful, and reverb on the guitar is mesmerizing.



-Shape Shifter-
This song starts in such a way that you assume its a filler, just another song to get on there so that the album looks and feels legitimate.  Then boom, the vocals start in and the harmonies kick in; and all of the sudden you have one of the most original and musically beautiful tunes I have ever come across.  If you have nice headphones, plug them in, and let this one rip.



-Cards and Quarters-
Simple and beautiful.. I am absolutely in love with the guitar overlay and xylophone work in this song, and I think it is just a very beautiful love song that has a lot of replay value.  Once again, headphones and go.



-Cubism Dream-
This song is a great little gem, but I will go ahead and get it out there that the only reason I love this song is for one very specific part.  From 2:45 on is where this song really shines, the lyrics "In Austrlia, on Halloween" will be your tip off on what I am talking about.  It is absolutely gorgeous.




If these guys don't do it for you on some level, I don't know what to tell you.  This is about as tight as it gets, and they are a reminder that even the best music may still be yet to come.  I think this album can be placed on repeat, and not lose any of its replay value.  Throw it on during a summer night in the car with the windows down, and tell me you don't enjoy what you are hearing.

As always, leave suggestions for new music in the comments!

-CS

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely LOVE them...... Good pick!!! I saw them last week opening for Arcade Fire. They sound just as good live as they do on the album!!

    ReplyDelete