Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Sneaker Pimps - I do love me some Trip-hop

This is a bit of a throwback for most people.  This isn't by any means new music, as this group has come and gone through their fair share of fame.  I would however say that there were some really interesting things that they were doing in their day.  Sneaker Pimps gained some notoriety after landing in a few movie sound-tracks, and climbing a few charts randomly.  I remember bumping this album in high-school and being so pleased at how different it all was compared to anything else I was listening to at the time.  You will most likely remember some of these tunes from any number of places you may have heard them.


These guys initially became famous with their hit "Six-underground."  It was an incredibly good song, and one that carried some weight in the movie industry.  You can still go back and find that one in a few movie sound-tracks.  The group was originally from Hartlepool, England.  They were probably at their most popular in the late nineties, and put out some work in the early 2000's in which the original lead singer was not a part.





Definitely my favorite of all time with these guys.  It was a really great track, and my guess is most people listening will have heard of it.  As I recall this was in the soundtrack of "The Saint" with Val Kilmer, which is a clever little spy flick.  Check that out too if you get a chance :)




-Spin Spin Sugar-
A song that gets decent acclaim from the Becoming X album.  Not as solid as some of their other work, but decent nonetheless.  Fairly simplistic approach, and still hitting all the key experimental down-tempo, trip-hop type elements you would want.




-Becoming X-
The title is also the title of the album this song is from, and its one of my favorites from their debut as well.  This has a dark and crisp chord progression, and I really do enjoy listening to it.  It tends to pop up on my iPod with some regularity.




-How Do-
This is another one of my favorites off of the Becoming X album, and is somewhat of a departure from the rest of the album.  I think you will like it.




-Post Modern Sleeze -
Also from Becoming X, and another great track!





I don't know how many trip-hop fans there are out there, but that is by far one of my favorite genres.  As I always say, different strokes for different folks. You will see a few more trip-hop groups in the future, as I just can't get enough down-tempo goodness.

Hope you enjoy!

-CS

No comments:

Post a Comment