Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Getting My DAW Sea-legs - Shooting in the Dark with... The Lark

So I am finally sitting down to get creative.  I have everything I need to really give this thing a go, and I have never been more excited.

I have just finished wrapping up my first "creation" on my brand spankin' new Digital Audio Workstation or DAW, otherwise known as Ableton Live Suite.  The intended goal was to spend a little time working through some effects, learning how to create tight audio loops, and seeing how well my new microphone worked.  I didn't really plan this little creation out, I just did it on the fly.  Hence you will notice that my very simple lyrics are quite dull (and probably deserve a LOL).

You might also notice that this little ditty is rather short, one-dimensional, ambient, not necessarily mixed all that well, and kind of strange!  Most of the mixing was done intentionally, but sometimes it is hard to tell how vocals will end up getting mastered.

It was inspired by a small portion of the soundtrack from the movie Syriana, which you may or may not have seen.  There is a really neat little harp-ish section of the soundtrack that I always found to be pretty catchy.  So I tried to emulate it, and then build some simple forms around it.

I am doubtful this little creation will interest any of you, but I might as well share the creative process from day one to day one-hundred thousand, otherwise this blog would be rendered useless.  I view this as an "INTRO" track, something akin to Life in Technicolor from Coldplay's Viva La Vida Album.  Not a full song, just a little slice of something to whet the musical palette.  I don't know if I will re-master this, or even try to use any of its elements in future songs.... just have to see how things pan out.

Just a heads up, its really weird.  But..thanks for listening... if you feel up to it!




P.S:  In case there was curiosity about which song from Syriana I was talking about.  Here it is.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice vibe; patient. This is a keeper. Well done my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very much appreciated sir! More to come soon, still trying to iron it all out :)

    ReplyDelete