Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Helio Sequence - Hallelujah!

The Helio Sequence is a really neat vintage rock band from Portland, Oregon.  I came across them on a random Pandora listen way back when, and they really caught me with their song Hallelujah.  I hadn't really looked into any of their other songs until lately, but they are a really neat little duo.  I am not entirely sure what I would compare them to, and sometimes the vocals sound like a modern Bob Dylan, but I do enjoy their work.  They say they get their influence from My Bloody Valentine, which if you have ever heard them, you might think this would be a problem.  I used to listen to My Bloody Valentine back in high school, and that was a strange musical phase for me, so you can only imagine.  It's not that they are bad, they are just.... different.

Their album Keep Your Eyes Straight Ahead is their most recent work.  As I stated previously, these guys have some solid work under them and are definitely worth a listen.  Let me know what you think!








-Hallelujah-
This is the song that caught me when I heard it on Pandora one day at work.  Though I have not listened to everything these guys have out there in the music world, I would say at this point its my favorite of their stuff.




-Shed Your Love-
This is a very simplistic and yet beautiful tune with a lot going for it.  I think in some cases the vocals are slightly under the note, but it isn't something that detracts from the listening experience, and perhaps its intentional?  It is every time he says "love" in "shed your love" that I hear a slight under the note issue.  I think you will like..




-Can't Say No-
This is a really solid tune, and one that I am pretty fond of.  It is certainly their vintage sound, and I feel as though I have heard this song before somewhere, though i don't know where.




-Keep Your Eyes Ahead-
This is another solid tune of theirs, and one that I think has gained the most acclaim judging by the fact that it has a music video, and lots of views on the Youtubes.




-Back to This-
This is the last tune I will link, as I would really venture to say the entire album is quite good.  I gave this one a quick listen, and really like the wispy ambient overlay in the background.  Give it a turn :)




As always, comments and recommendations are welcomed!  I really do hope you enjoyed, and hopefully most have not heard of these guys!  That way I can take the credit for introductions. ;)

Thanks for checking them out!

-CS

1 comment:

  1. Real nice. A couple of the songs have a Spoon feel to them.

    ReplyDelete