Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Kings of Leon - Yes.. I Realize They Have Been Around A While

So.. for some reason I never really listened to Kings of Leon. I have no real reason for this, and honestly I can't think up a good excuse on short notice.. so.. deal.  These guys have been a favorite of my brother-in-law's for quite some time, but I just never got around to listening to them. (not cool of me.. ) haha

Well.. like any good Spotify user, I decided to throw some top tracks into my playlist.  Now, don't get me wrong, I had heard some of the songs before, I just think they resonated with me a little more this time around.  Maybe because I was paying attention.



KINGS OF LEON











Now again, I am not making excuses for myself, I simply must have had a filter up on these guys, and so yes this is old news (and probably out of "fashion" at this point).  However, this crew from Oklahoma has some really nice jams out that are well worth listening to, assuming you are as late to the party as I am.  Now, when I say late to the party, we are talking late to the party that started in 1999.  So yeah... that's late.  I will say though that they probably didn't really hit their stride until more recently (circa 2006 or so).

I have been told they have an incredible live show, and my guess would be that is inevitably true.  I figure if your band started in Nashville, then you probably have to be pretty damn good live.  There is tons of competition, and its not like they match the strong-arm genre.  I was specifically told that their show at Red Rocks was unreal.  So I am of course bummed I missed it.

So for a full family band... they are pretty doggone good.  They certainly smoke The Jonas Brothers or Hanson if that's what you were thinking.  They are three brothers and a cousin, and unfortunately they are currently on hiatus, or so it seems that way.  They ended up cancelling the remainder of their 2010 US tour, and finishing up their tour season in Australia.  I don't know this for sure, but my guess is that some people are built for that kind of road-work, and some people aren't.  Could be more involved than that, but I guess I'll never know.

Now for a few good songs to munch on.

-Pyro-
I absolutely love this song... Hands down my favorite right now, and one that I listen to with some regularity at the moment.  I love the really tight reverb on their guitar riffs, because it gives a light and airy sound to their top-end, and then the bass and baritone vocals really round it out.  Love the harmonies created in this one as well, and the keyboard work in the background (as it is kind of hard to hear but adds a ton of color).




-The End-
Another favorite at the moment.  And again you can hear that reverb on the guitar.  It is somewhat reminiscent of Coldplay in how they use it, but obviously a completely different sound.  Excellent song though.




-Closer-
 I really like the guitar work on this track..  It's repetitive in a way, but it is just a really intense and heartfelt sound.




-Sex Is On Fire-
I just like the title.........  Hah, no it's a great song.  And yes, I know we have all heard this one.




Those are my favorites at the moment, and would love some suggestions on some other songs (other than Use Somebody, because yes I have heard it).  Obviously Come Around Sundown  and  Only By The Night are both great albums.  So yeah... I've been a little lazy..  I found my four favorites that I listen to, and now I want all 2.7 of my readers to suggest a song of Kings' that isn't on this tiny, quickly produced list.

Thank you.

-CS

No comments:

Post a Comment