Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Fleet Foxes & Bon Iver - The Gift of Foxes From A Fox

Had a great band suggested to me a couple days ago.  I had been told about these guys before by my cousin in D.C., but I guess in some ways the true credit goes to those who actually get me to listen to the band they suggest, sorry cuz!  The band I am referring to is Fleet Foxes, and it was passed onto me by my incredibly good looking "Windy City" music consultant.  She labeled them a mix between Simon and Garfunkel and C.S.N.Y (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, for those of you in the slow lane).  You can of course be the judge as to whether this is the case when you listen to these guys, but I would definitely say you won't be disappointed.



FLEET FOXES










They sort of look like a traveling Amish troupe of thespians, but these guys are no such thing.  They are a folksy and almost blue-grass type group in their approach, but they don't have any of the country-like attributes.  They have a very smooth and rich sound, something akin to Local Natives, but a little more lethargic... and I'm not saying these guys are lazy.  They are really an incredible and refreshing sound, and something that I have only grown to like even more the more I listen to it.  So enough jabbering, let's get to the music..


-Montezuma-
This is a tantalizing tune.  Lots of beautiful harmonization, and an interesting time signature.  It is definitely one of my favorites from their Helplessness Blues album.  Absolutely love the lead singer's voice, I am always amazed at people who can successfully sing without any vibrato.




-Bedouin Dress-
This I think might be my favorite.  This is just a really solid song, and something that I have been listening to a ton.  I love how much depth these guys get from melding a whole host of acoustic instruments.  It's a sort of 60's - 70's throwback that is so necessary in a time where everything is almost too perfect in it's electronic package.  Which I know is funny coming from me.




-Mykonos-
I love this little diddy as well.  One of the comments on youtube is "I'm just gonna fill my mp3 player with Fleet Foxes music and go lay down in the middle of the forest looking up at the stars. In that moment, everything will be OK."  Hahah, right on flower-child, right there with ya.



-Sim Sala Bim-
Just a really beautiful track, and another one of my favorites so far.



If you want to check out some more Fleet Foxes, I would suggest doing so.  These guys have some real staying power.

Now on to Bon Iver!




BON IVER






A native from Wisconsin, Justin Vernon is the man behind the Bon Iver mask.  Bon Iver of course translating to "good winter" from Fraunnnnch huh-huh-huh.  His steely guitar work and wailing vocals are what really make him shine.  This was another pick by my windy city correspondent, and another good one at that.  Oddly enough Vernon has worked with the likes of Kanye West on a few tracks (odd, I know..).  I think he really has some unique and inspiring work.  He has this somewhat vinyl quality to a lot of his tracks, and he must filter his guitar work in some fashion, because it all sounds muffled a bit.  No matter how you slice it, I was impressed.

-Skinny Love-
I love the steely quality of the guitar, and it just sounds like a really sweet folk love song.  Definitely worth a listen.  I'm also a fan of the vocals multi-tracking.




-Perth-
This is a really beautiful song, and the one that really caught me when I went to check this guy out.  I feel like it should be on the soundtrack from Friday Night Lights or something.  Explosions in the Sky eat your heart out.



Hope you all enjoyed, and of course comments and other suggestions welcome!  Have a wonderful Thursday!

-CS

No comments:

Post a Comment