Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Sundays - British 90's Pop That Never Goes Stale

I was messing around on facebook like every other red-blooded American on a 100+ degree and rainy day.  I came across a post with The Sundays on it, and I was pretty impressed to see it.  I am not surprised that other folks have heard of The Sundays, as they were pretty popular after they scored a soundtrack spot on the movie Fear.  I had only heard of them for this reason, and was soon to discover what a complete and really incredible band they are.  Their album Blind is still one of the best albums I have ever owned, and I credit that to their very dreamy sound, and the lead singer's INCREDIBLE vocals.  It takes a long time to find a voice as pure as Harriet Wheeler's, and she is insanely talented..


THE SUNDAYS










As I said above, these guys gained incredible attention in the early 1990's, but were actually formed in the late 80's.  They are from across the pond, and yes it is yet ANOTHER British band, go figure.  Their most popular single is Wild Horses which is of course a re-write of the famous Rolling Stones song.  We are of course talking about two different genres, but I am partial to Wheeler's version, even over the original; and please don't get me wrong, I love the Rolling Stones.

I think there is a particular place and time for this music.  That place and time is not when you are playing drinking games, or throwin' down at the local watering hole.  I think this is more for winding down the night, driving with the windows open in the country, or remembering some time in life that gave you pause.  This is that type of music that evokes introspection, or elicits emotional recollections.  Once again, I attribute that to its 'dreaminess.'  I have a particular memory that always sticks with me when I listen to The Sundays, and that has to do with some time I spent on a dude ranch in northern Colorado back when I was in middle school.  I think it brings out something different for everyone, but the main crux here is that it is some simple, yet seriously gorgeous music.

I only own two of their albums, and I could stand to grow my collection of these guys.  Without further ado, if you haven't heard these guys, I would suggest checking them out.  If you have heard them, I would tell you to explore even more :)

-Wild Horses-
I think you would be kidding yourself if you think you haven't heard this song before.  This was their bell-cow single, and the one that put them on the map.  It is a truly incredible rendition.




-I Feel-
This is the lead-off batter of their Blind album, and is just a really great song.  It cuts off early, but I think you get the idea.




-Medicine-
Another great song off of the album.  Not sure what the video is for, but it was a good upload, so I used it. This tune takes a little patience, but I still love it.




-Blood on My Hands-
Another favorite off of the Blind album, and just a really nice track.  This is the last one I will showcase from Blind because I am moving onto their Reading, Writing and Arithmetic album.




-My Finest Hour-
This is off of the Reading, Writing and Arithmetic album, which was previous to Blind.  I originally bought this album well after having owned Blind for a long time, and it took me a while to warm up to it.  I will say this though, it is really an incredible album as well.




-Here's Where the Story Ends-
Another really solid entry on their first album.  They have a unique sound, so it won't be much of a departure from what you have heard already.  I would say that you always want to try and listen to Sundays song all the way through.




-Can't Be Sure-
This one I am just fond of the interesting percussion line.  It's a really cool song, and one that has a really beautiful moment at the end.  A little chill down the spine..




I think that should be enough to whet the appetite.  This early 90's stuff isn't for everyone, much like everything else I post isn't for everyone.  I would say though that if you liked anything up here, I would really implore you to check out the rest of their songs.  They are a true classic.

Hope you enjoyed, and I want to also say that I will be getting back into production here very soon.  Been on summer jaunts all over the place, and haven't had any time to get creative.

Thanks for stopping in.

-CS

No comments:

Post a Comment