Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Portishead & Special Bonus 'Moderat' - Throwback Thursday

Awwww yeahh... a little 90's throwback for you today.  For those of you who love a little trip-hop in your cheerios, this is the post for you.  Many of you have probably heard of Portishead, as they have been around since the dinosaurs, but they are still a total staple from the early goings of the trip-hop genre.  I have been a big fan of theirs for years, and I had a chance encounter with them the other day while visiting the local Macy's (don't know how that happened) and decided it was time to put them up here.  I put up a post about the Sneaker Pimps a few weeks ago, and this is the second part of a three-part Trip-Hop series if you will.



PORTISHEAD







Known as one of the originals of the "trip-hop" movement out of England, Portishead brought with it a unique and grimy sound that hasn't ever really been duplicated.  Their first album Dummy is by far my favorite, as it is the one with the most clout, and it has some really great work on it.  The three person band from Bristol, England got their name from a neighboring town of the same name.  Dummy was released in 1994, and was renowned as a great followup to Massive Attack's first album Blue Lines.  They received a lot of praise for Dummy, and they then released a self-titled album in 1997.  Since then they have released three more albums, and have been giving some indication that they may release something more in the future.

I originally came across this group in 7th grade, and strangely enough they have stayed on my list of favorites since then.  They have a truly incredible sound, and I hope you all like!

-Sour Times-
Definitely one my all-time favorites for these guys.  It is the song that really launched them into the mainstream channels.  It is a unique and smooth sound, and one that is a great example of true Portishead.




-It Could Be Sweet-
I absolutely love the beat on this song, and I think it has this very eerie beauty to it.  I love the vocals as well here, as I think she has this strange yet wonderful sound.




-Strangers-
Another one of my favorites, and a really cool song all the way around.  They are really unlike anyone else in the genre.  There is also a live version of this that is pretty amazing.




-Wandering Star-
I love the gritty and grimy sound that they are able to put together.  It sounds like everything is coming through vinyl.




Hope you enjoyed some of their older stuff off of their Dummy album!  If you have any interest in checking out more, be sure to check out their self-titled album Portishead and their album P3.  I am only focusing on Dummy because it has been my favorite for so long.

Now... as a bonus...

-Rusty Nails-
This is a song by a guy named Moderat.  I ran across Moderat after reading he had done some work with Apparat who has been my favorite new pick-up as of late.  This song has an awesome beat, and a really cool and simplistic melody.  I hope you all like!




Thanks for stopping by, and have a wonderful Thursday!

-CS

No comments:

Post a Comment