Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Silent Film - Oh Weird... They Are From England

Well wouldn't it be super insane if another band came out that was really solid, and was also from England?  That would be weird right?

I am starting to wonder if they are hoarding most of the talent...




A SILENT FILM










A Silent Film is a small alt-rock band from Oxford, England, and I literally just started playing them after hearing them on Sirius Alt Nation the other day.  They really have a sort of Keane or Coldplay like aura to their music, but it is a little more electronic in some cases, which brings out some M83.  I have just listened to about 4-5 songs, and loved them all.  That... never... happens.

Robert Stevenson has a really nice set of vocals, and the sound is just really pleasing to the ear.  You might have to take a second to listen through some of this, as there is a lot of buildup and quality in there.  Apparently they came together in 2005, so again I am late to the party here, but I am really impressed nonetheless. Apparently the influence around their name came from a melody that was written in response to something off of a Charlie Chaplin film.  I always love getting those back stories.

Let's get to some tunes...

-Driven By a Beating Heart-
This is just a really sweet song.  I think the opener is somewhat like M83, and then it launches into a Coldplay like chorus.  If you like either of those bands, you will definitely like this.



-Thirteen Times The Strength-
Another really solid and beautiful track.  It has that same concert hall sound, but the chorus on this piece is incredible.  I am totally loving this tune..




-Sleeping Pills-
Really liked the lyrics on this, and the xylophone-like overlay.  Again.. killer chorus.



-Juile June-
Another really solid tune...



If this hasn't intrigued you to listen to a little more of these guys, then I do NOT know what to say to you.  They aren't overly flashy, and they aren't entirely unique, as I kept comparing them to bands that sort of have a similar sound.  However, they do what they do VERY well.

Let me know what you think..

-CS


No comments:

Post a Comment