Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Fiction Plane - Yeah... That's Sting's Son

A few years ago a group of friends and I met at one of our buddy's houses for the Mt. Adams Music Festival in Cincinnati, OH.  I had never attended the event before, but was surprised to see what a cool and large music scene it turned out to be.  That year the headliner for the show was Fiction Plane.  They are a contemporary rock band, and it turned out they were a hell of a lot better than I had anticipated, and they put on a very good show that night.  The lead singer of the band is the son of the very very famous Sting, of The Police fame.  It was utterly insane how much his son sounded like him, though his voice was a bit more gritty.  As I said above, I was very surprised by how good they were, and we ended up getting to meet the band and hang out with them after the show, because the stage was placed right in front of our friends' front yard in the street.

I didn't say much to the guys except that I really enjoyed the show, but they seemed like pretty down to earth nice folks.  They had some really simple and tight tunes, and then some very elegant stuff as well.  It appears from their site that they are spending most of their time in Europe which makes sense, and they have since released another album.  Their next stop is in Holland, and some of the music festivals they have been playing have some pretty big headliners.  But, let's go ahead and get to the listening.









FICTION PLANE





American Standard-
This song is off of their Bitter Forces and Lame Race Horses EP, but not on one of their main releases.  I absolutely love this song... I don't know why it didn't make the grade for a main release, but I plucked it off the previous iteration of their website a couple years back.  I don't think this captures their sound as it stands now, but I do think it is one of their best efforts from their very inception.




-Two Sisters-
This is a bit more upbeat song that I really liked when I heard it live.  I don't exactly remember where it was on the set list, but it was early, and it was the song that convinced me I needed to pick their album up.  Tell me that isn't Sting...




-Anyone-
Another upbeat and awesome song from their first main release.  I think they played this one live as well.




-Cold Water Symmetry-
Another great song from their first main release.  I think it has beauty in its simplicity, which is part of what made The Police so successful with tunes like Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic.  So I guess you could say that son is following in father's footsteps!




-Patience-
Another gem from their Bitter Forces and Lame Race Horses album.  I really like this song, and its another one that captures their early sound.  In listening to their newest album Sparks, I would say they have reinvented their sound slightly.




Hope you enjoyed a little slice of Fiction Plane, and please leave any comments or questions if you have any!

Happy Hump Day!

-CS

No comments:

Post a Comment