Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Apparat - Was that a glitch?

I have unintentionally created this mishmashed archive of songs that I have run into over the years on my iTunes.  It is absolutely incredible for fishing out a group I haven't heard in a while to write about, and not so effective as a consistent and effective road trip playlist.  Before I sit down to make a post here on this blog, I always consult my 'archive.'  Just in case I catch something that I want to pay some attention to, and potentially bring to the wonderful folks out there (assuming they haven't already discovered said group).

Tonight was one of those nights where I hadn't predetermined a focus on any one specific group, and therefore I went to check in the archives.  There I came across Apparat, and I of course came across him rather quickly, as he was in the "A's".  I hit the one and only song I had on my iTunes, and then decided I might take my finding over to Rhapsody to check out some of this guy's other works.  I am pretty glad that I did that, as I think there is plenty to gain from hearing some Apparat.




APPARAT










This electronic/glitch/ambient artist is a product of Berlin, Germany.  His real name is Sascha Ring, and apparently he has been at this whole music thing for quite a while.  He got his electronic start in 1997, and has been creating sounds, songs, and tracks ever since then.  I was most struck by how well he incorporates analog instrumentation into his digital creations.  He does such a good job of keeping the listener guessing as to whether what they are listening to was synth or actually a piano.  It is apparent that Sascha has a fantastic ear, and his vocals are very heartfelt and soulful, and more importantly completely and perfectly on key.

I am always a sucker for something that is unique, and it is obvious that Apparat is exactly that.  I also appreciate his interest in multiple genres of music in that he dabbles in all kinds of electronic.  It is apparent that his talent has netted him a very successful music and sound engineering career in Europe, just based on what I have read about him.

You may not like electronic music, but this guy really has something special going on.  If you are interested in hearing more than what you receive here, check out his album Walls.

In the meantime, put on some nice headphones, kick back and relax.  This stuff is priceless.

-Ash/Black Veil-
This is a gorgeous and inspiring tune that goes from sounding like an Irish folk tune and quickly transforming into a gypsy ballad.  I don't really know if that is an ample description for what one is hearing, but I would say that it is an incredibly beautiful song, and one that is worth a few thousand listens.




-Arcadia-
This is another solid display of Apparat's talents, especially in the vocal arena.  I really thought the beat that kicks it off sounds a lot like a Kenna beat, but it quickly transforms into something entirely different.  I also really love how smooth it all sounds.  Another incredible, goose-bump inducing tune.




-Hailin From the Edge-
This is a different tune, something a little more dark and gritty.  I love the chorus section of this song, and I think overall its a pretty solid track.




-You Don't Know Me-
This is the song that sparked this article, and I think this is a really good example of his works that haven't any vocals.  I love the discordant overlays and the complex beat, and it seems to spew emotion from every measure.




-Headup-
This one is simply about the harmonization.  I really like the vocal harmonies in the chorus on this.  The  verse vocals are somewhat lacking..




-Arcadia (Telefon Tel Aviv Remix)-
Telefon Tel Aviv (whom I will end up reviewing at some point) went ahead an remixed Arcadia, and I thought it was interesting to show difference between the songs original intention, and then a more electro version of it.  Both of which of course bring some incredible things to the table.  Give this one some time to develop, trust me, you will like it.




I hope you really enjoyed Apparat.  I ended up surprised at how much of his stuff I found to be golden.  There is some REALLY beautiful work in there!

If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate!  Have a wonderful Thursday!!

-CS

No comments:

Post a Comment